It has been a week of great food for me. Next week, it will be mostly salads and trips to the gym!
1. The Goodwin (Greenwich Village, NYC) – I picked it on a whim for a Saturday night dinner with two girlfriends based on nothing more than OpenTable availability, location and a glimpse at the menu. Fortunately The Goodwin was a unanimous hit. We loved the charming – albeit cramped – space, and the menu was fantastic.
Try the pork shoulder ‘pig in a blanket’ or the wonderful burrata.
2. Jockey Club (Guadalajara) – if you go, get the Arrachera steak. It’s similar to the cut we call skirt steak in the U.S. Mine was buttery, rich and tender. They also offer plenty of Mexican delicacies in addition to traditional steakhouse fare. I really enjoyed the grilled cheese appetizer called queso panela.
3. La Tequila (Guadalajara) – Order the queso. Paired with terrific tortillas, I could have made a meal out of just this appetizer. The upstairs dining area is more atmospheric than the main floor, in my opinion.
4. Kestane Kebab (Greenpoint, Brooklyn) – I’m cheating on this one. Using Seamless.com, I had food delivered. So good and a great value. I love the lentil soup, any of the spit roasted chicken items and, of course, baklava.
5. Bann (Midtown Manhattan) – I didn’t get a pic of my dish of noodles and soy-marinated beef (Bann Gooksu) but did snap a shot of my friend’s pork ribs. Quite a platter, and part of Bann’s current Restaurant Week offering. At Bann it was $38 for three courses.
Of course our cocktails, including my soju lemonades, took the price higher.
Where have you eaten recently?