Years ago I was dining with my friend Joanne at the bar of our mutual neighborhood favorite, Palena. We had snagged seats, ordered Sidecars and starting perusing the menu when a couple came up behind us.
“Oh great,” we whispered to each other sarcastically, assuming the couple would spend the next twenty minutes ordering drinks over our heads and stalking our bar stools with their eyes.
Instead we made friends, and stayed friends.
The male half of the couple, Mark Kuller, subsequently opened his own restaurants, Proof and Estadio in DC. The much prettier half, Kristin Connor, is Managing Partner of Whisk Gourmet in South Miami at which her brother Brendan is Executive Chef.
The lovely couple married several years ago and splits their time between two cities.
Mark kindly agreed to share Five Great Eats in Miami. Hopefully a guest post by Kristin isn’t far behind!
1. Little oyster sandwiches, caviar and house made blinis at the bar at The Dutch on Miami Beach.
2. Bánh cuốn and Vietnamese chicken curry at Hy Vong in Little Havana.
3. Truffled Roast Chicken and roasted tri-color cauliflower on the patio at Sugarcane Raw Bar Grill in Midtown.
Via Ocean Drive
4. House made pastrami with a side of the house made kimchi on the patio at Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink in the Design District.
5. Fried green tomatoes, chicken n’ biscuits, and pretty much everything on the menu at Whisk Gourmet in South Miami/Coral Gables.
If you have Miami favorites, share ’em in the comments.